In this chapter:
- Mobile Billing App
- How to Add a Patient (Label Snap)
- How to Add a Claim
- Default Settings
- Claim Status & Rejection Management
- Benefits of Dr. Bill
- Privacy & Security
1. The Mobile Billing AppThe number one reason why physicians get burned out is due to paperwork. A typical doctor will spend a few hours each week on billing, on top of their already full schedule. Couldn't that time be spent on more important things, like practicing medicine? We think so! That’s why it’s beneficial if you use mobile billing to beat burnout by:
- Complete your billing while you work (reduces chances of forgetting to bill)
- Instantly verify a patient’s health card
- Get prompts to help add claims correctly
- Get alerts for premiums and easy extras you might be missing out on
- Centralize record-keeping
2. How to Add a Patient (Label Snap)In order to add a claim, first you need to add a patient. There are two ways you can do this:
- You can manually add a patient by clicking on “new patient” and then filling in the necessary requirements or
- You can take a Label Snap. A Label Snap lets you capture patient data instantly using your phone's camera
On the Web App
- Click ‘patients’, then
- ‘New patient’ and follow the prompts (it will look exactly the same as the photo below)
Health Card Version Code (Eligibility)
3. How to Add a Claim
How to Add a Claim (IOS/Android)From a patient's card, tap the 'New Claim' button to create a new claim. This is where you’ll fill out the details of your claim. You can:
- Add a billing code
- Add up to 3 Diagnoses (ICD9s)
- Select your Service Location
- Select your Facility
- Add your date of service
- Enter your Start and End times
- (not shown on the image, add a ‘referring physician’)
- Click Save and you're done!
Billing Item Preview
- When selecting a Billing Item/Diagnoses, you can search by number or description then tap the one you want.
- On the mobile billing app you have the option of "starring" your most commonly used billing items, diagnostic codes, or referring physicians. Using this feature will populate your starred items at the top of your lists for easy searching. Just tap the star icon next to the billing item or diagnosis when searching your list. It'll be saved for next time.
How to Add a Claim (on the Web)If you prefer billing on a computer, then there’s also the option to add a claim on the web app using our online medical billing software. It’s a similar process to the mobile billing app but looks like this:
4. Default SettingsThere are several default settings that you can add to your account in order to make adding claims that much quicker. Below is an outline of the different options:
- If you're billing using the same service location or facility number, you can set it as your ‘default’ under your account settings. That way you won’t need to enter it on your claims every single time. To do this, log in on the Web app, click on your name, then ‘account settings.’ Choose a default Service Location or Facility Number and hit update.
- You can also set a default diagnosis and add multiple specialties to your profile.
- When adding a claim on the mobile billing app it will default to the last settings of a claim for that specific patient. In order for this to work, you need to create the claim from the patient card (as opposed to creating the claim from the home page). Here’s an example of how you would create the claim:
- Click on ‘All Patients’ then click on the patient you want to bill for
- On the patient’s card, on the bottom left hand corner click “New Claim”
- The new claim will default to the last diagnoses, location, facility number and referring physician.
5. FeaturesWe are always trying to make billing easier! Check out our list of medical billing software features that will help streamline your practice and boost revenue:
Create Duplicate Claims
Add Claims for Multiple Dates
Easily Edit/Delete Claims
Create Patient Groups
Collaborate & Work in Teams
- Find the patient who's uninsured and click on their name to open the patient card
- Click ‘Edit’ on the top right hand corner
- Under ‘Type of Insurance’ click ‘Private’
- At the bottom, slide right to bill the patient (or private insurance company) and we’ll handle the rest!
6. Claim Status & Rejection ManagementWhen you submit a claim, each claim gets a status. Knowing what your status means is a great way to stay on top of your billing and know when you have an error or something that needs fixing. Here is an overview of the different claim statuses:
- Submitted to Insurer: This claim has been submitted to OHIP. Depending on when the claim was submitted prior to the latest cut off, your claim could be processed for the next remittance.
- Submission Error: The claim has not passed the pre-edit process and therefore has not been officially received. Patient insurance issues are often the cause for this. Other examples could be a missing referring practitioner or incomplete times in the claim. Please see the specific claim details for a full explanation of what is missing.
- Rejected: This claim has been rejected by OHIP as the billing criteria has not been met for successful payment. Please go into the claim details to see the full explanation as to why these claims have come back unpaid.
- Pending: This claim will be automatically submitted to OHIP within the next 24 hours if your account is fully active.
7. Benefits of Dr. BillAs a young medical billing software company, we’re able to make unique changes to our system that really meet the needs of our users. We’re constantly do surveys and encourage feedback so that our software is up to date and innovating. Our mobile billing app lets you add a patient within 3 seconds and add a claim under 30. We pride ourselves in our product and in our service, we are an app powered by real humans, so we’re always here to help. But, don’t take our word for it….
Here’s what our customers have to say:
- "It is very easy to use, takes much less time than I expected. The chat option with Dr Bill staff is invaluable and the response time to my queries has been outstanding!" - Dr. Tanya Fairweather, General Practice
- “Easy to use. I like the ability to capture information using the camera on my phone. Also easy to see where I make mistakes. My experience with the billing experts has been great." - Dr. Ed Schwartzenberger, Orthopaedics
- "So convenient and I love the instant feedback at the end of the day that tells me how much I’ve billed. The homepage that reports the status of total billings is also very clear. My billing...what’s been paid/held/refused was always very vague with my prior billing service. I also never really had a good idea of how much was outstanding and was submitted for a given billing cycle. I’d eventually get some information but usually 2 or 3 months later." - Dr. Valentina Montessori, Infectious Disease