MSP introduced 2 new cardiology fee codes, 33072 (a surgical fee code) and 33020 (a management/supervision fee code). Both fee codes became available on March 1st and were automatically updated on the app.
If you haven’t starting using them already, here’s everything you need to know:
1. Fee Code 33072: Percutaneous Left Atrial Appendage
33072 is listed under “Interventional Cardiology Procedures” for surgeries on patients with abnormal heart rhythm (atrial fibrillation) who are at high risk for strokes or other cerebrovascular events. This fee code includes:
- Any type of catheterizations
- Angiography codes: 00801, 00810, 00812, 00827, 00871, 00888, 00889, 33030
- Intra-arterial cannulation
- Right heart catheterization
- Retrograde left heart catheterization
- Pulse Tracing (intravascular)
- Temporary pacemaker
|Fee Code||Description||$ Amount|
|33072||Percutaneous left atrial appendage closure||$900.00|
When you bill for 33072 it includes the ‘30 days pre’ and the‘48-hour post-operative visits’ that the patient is in the hospital.
It also covers any:
- Medically necessary diagnostic imaging (e.g.: Intra-cardiac ultrasound),
- Arterial lines,
- Blood pressure measurements
- Pharmacological infusion and studies
- Blood sampling
- Blood analysis
- Interpretations done in association with procedure
Medical billing in BC is confusing and can often be overwhelming. To help out, check out our complete MSP guide that walks you through each step of medical billing – from the general teleplan process to maximizing your claims and using mobile billing.
Related fee codes for Assisting
- When you’re not the main doctor in surgery but perform a TEE (Trans-esophageal echocardiography) bill 33057.
- For Cardiologists (specialty 26) bill 00845 (for the first hour or fraction thereof) and then 00846 (after one hour, each 15 minutes or fraction thereof).
2. Fee Code 33020: Supervision of patient in a Cardiac Rehabilitation program
33020 is listed under “Miscellaneous” and is only available to cardiologists with fellowship training in cardiac rehabilitation, who are working at Health Authority approved Cardiac Rehabilitation programs.
|Fee Code||Description||$ Amount|
|33020||Supervision of patient in a Cardiac Rehabilitation program (Per week)||$62.41|
You’re only allowed to use this code once per week and it includes all services and multiple encounters for supervision and management of the patient who is enrolled in the rehab program.
If you have any questions regarding the new cardiology fee codes, contact our billing team here.
This article offers general information only and is not intended as legal, financial or other professional advice. A professional advisor should be consulted regarding your specific situation. While information presented is believed to be factual and current, its accuracy is not guaranteed and it should not be regarded as a complete analysis of the subjects discussed. All expressions of opinion reflect the judgment of the author(s) as of the date of publication and are subject to change. No endorsement of any third parties or their advice, opinions, information, products or services is expressly given or implied by RBC Ventures Inc. or its affiliates.
Discover a Simpler Way to Bill
Try our medical billing software free for 45-days, no credit card required.
By entering my email address, I agree to receive promotional emails from Dr.Bill. I can unsubscribe at any time.